Re: Newbie woes

Subject: Re: Newbie woes
schinder@pobox.com
Date: Mon Oct 18 1999 - 17:50:16 MDT

On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 11:03:05PM +0200, Frank Stengel wrote:
} I just installed CS1.1 on my PowerMac 6400 and I am experiencing a few
} problems. I am certain they are due to my total lack of knowledge of cerain
} key areas. Anyway, here we are:
}
} -- I can't access to my internal modem. I tried /dev/cua0 or /dev/cua1
} using minicom, or even KPPP, and the results are that /dev/cua0 does not
} respond and /dev/cua1 answers gibberish, which seems consistent with the
} fact that at startup the kernel claims that serial port 1 is the printer
} port, where I have hooked my printer. I also tried /dev/ttyS0 with the same
} result. Is there something that needs to be done in order that linux sees
} the internal modem? I know that MacOS need a specific extension to see the
} 6400's internal modem.

If it's an Express Modem rather than a real internal modem, the only
thing you can do is to remove the internal modem and buy a real one.
Once the internal modem is removed, the modem port becomes fully
active, so you can just plug the external right in. I replaced the
Express Modem in my Performa 6400 with an external modem a couple of
years ago. If you're still using MacOS, you'll be much happer with
the performance, since the Express Modem eats about 30% of your CPU
when running. And if you're planning on using MacOS 9, you'll need to
do it, anyway, because the Express Modem will no longer be supported.

}
} -- How do I go to use my laser printer which is connected to my computer
} using a localtalk network through the printer port. atalkd complains by
} saying it can't find any interfaces, and further than that, I'm lost. How
} do I go?

Localtalk doesn't work under Linux. Ethertalk works fine, if it's
possible for you to go that route. I bought an Asante Fast PCI card
for my 6400 so I can connect it to my iBook (which also can't do
Localtalk), and it works great.

}
} Any help or pointers are welcome.
}