Re: Sound on a Powerbook G3

Subject: Re: Sound on a Powerbook G3
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Wed Oct 20 1999 - 04:22:00 MDT

Jim Cole wrote:

> Not sure why people are seeing different things, but sound (with xmms and
> a couple other toys) worked fine from day one using BootX 1.1.1. I have no
> idea what esd is, but I just typed it and my PowerBook spit out a series
> of beeps, so I guess it works. I had /dev/dsp by default with major 14,
> minor 3.

Aha - the missing /dev/dsp was the problem. I created the device with
mknod and esd made the startup tones it should have. :)

esd is the E sound daemon. It's a sound multiplexor that allows multiple
sound apps to share a single soundcard. As a result if you want to play
a sample .wav while listening to an mp3 (for example) it becomes
possible.

Regards,
Graham

minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon