Re: rpm problem with yellowdog

Subject: Re: rpm problem with yellowdog
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Thu Oct 21 1999 - 22:43:54 MDT

simon warrington's bits of Thu, 21 Oct 1999 translated to:

> I've tried a couple of times to install Websphere Application server for
> linux and get a couple of different messages.
>
> package <filename> is for a different architecture.
>
> I thought that Yellowdog was exactly the same as RedHat 6.XX on any other
> machine.

Hi. This is not correct and the problem doesn't have anything to do with
rpm. Different architectures (e.g. x86 vs. PPC) use very different
instruction sets, so you cannot just move an executable from one architecture
to another. You either need to have binaries built for your architecture or
have source code from which you can build the binaries yourself.

Jim