Segmentation fault installing YDL champ 1.1 on RS/6k F50

Subject: Segmentation fault installing YDL champ 1.1 on RS/6k F50
From: Moertel, Tom (TMoertel@seic.com)
Date: Thu Sep 16 1999 - 15:08:04 MDT

We recently inherited a loaded -- and I mean *loaded* -- RS/6000 7025-F50
and would very much like to try out YDL Champion Server 1.1 on it. However,
the installer keeps bombing out with a segmentation fault, and we're stumped
as to how to finish the install.

The system has 14 drives on it, some of which have AIX-style partitioning.
We want to use some of the drives for YDL and some of the drives for AIX.
(We're going with a dual boot for now.)

The problem occurs at the point in the install where you've finished
partitioning the drives (we used fdisk) and are about to pick mount points.
The installer tries to read the partition table of each drive (presumably to
build up a list of partitions from which to pick your filesystem mount
points.) When the installer encounters an AIX drive, it doesn't recognize
the partitioning table and says that the partition table is corrupt. It then
gives you the option of either creating a new partition table or skipping
the drive. We want to keep the AIX information, and so we choose to Skip the
drive. However, at this point the installer dies with a segmentation fault.
There doesn't seem to be any way to avoid this part of the install process,
and so we're seemingly stuck.

Any bright folks out there with ideas about how we can finish the install? I
would really love to see Linux running on this beast.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Tom

P.S. If you could, please cc my email address on any replies to the list.