Adding Users using menus

Subject: Adding Users using menus
From: Luca Giroux (luca@CAM.ORG)
Date: Fri Sep 17 1999 - 13:14:55 MDT

I just installed YDL from the CD on my PowerMac.
As a Macintosh user and new to Linux, I answered YES to autostart "X" at
the end of installation process,

Everything worked fine. It was easy to log into KDE.
Then I tried Gnome and I got a message like :
"you'd better login as a user because "root" can screw up the file system !
"

Well, I had to search for a while before I found out how to do it with the
menus.

So, I would like to recommend to add a few lines in the YDL manual, either
to refer to complete doc or to give a short explanation (or both). It might
goes like this:

To add users (login) to your system using the menus:

1-To access the main configuration menu, do not try any existing menu but
rather click on a terminal icon (it works in KDE and Gnome) to start a
terminal session and type the command:
        linuxconf
This will bring you to the main configuration menu.

2-Click on "Users accounts" line.
3-Click the "Add" button. Then type in Login name and Full name of the
person.
4-Click "Accept" button. Enter the password.
5-Click "Accept".

The new login is added and will be effective when you Quit (press the "Quit"
button).

The complete documentation is available on the YDL CD-ROM at this location:

    file:///YellowDog_Install/doc/rhmanual/manual/doc070.htm

--
Luca
luca@cam.org