Bug report for new MacOS X compilation

Sam Bayer mol-devel@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:28:40 -0500

Samuel -

> You are probably not building from the correct BK tree.

Correct.

> The OSX stuff is in
>
> 	bk://mol@mol.bkbits.net/devel

Got it. BTW, using this path I'm prompted for a username and passwd. If
I omit "mol@" it works. I'm sure this is just because I don't know a
lot about Bitkeeper.

I did encounter one problem: the compilation of src/lib/llseek.c
requires KERNEL to be defined (because /usr/include/sys/disk.h won't
include DKIOCGETBLOCKCOUNT32 otherwise). Tried adding -DKERNEL by hand
to CFLAGS in config/Makefile.osx, but that turned out to be the wrong
thing (all sorts of system calls end up not being declared), so I
defined it in llseek.c long enough to load the header, like so:

#ifdef __darwin__
#define KERNEL
#include <sys/disk.h>
#undef KERNEL
#endif

I tried to include USB support, but as you must know, that assumes
Linux, so it barfed.

Also, "make install" failed because Makefile.osx.defs defined
INSTALL_PROGRAM as

$(INSTALL) --mode=755

According to the manpage on 10.3, install takes -m, not --mode.

At this point, I get stuck. I'm very sorry to be dense, but I'm not
sure how to get mol started. Here's what happens. If I'm not root, it
says:

% /usr/local/bin/startmol
The framebuffer device /dev/fb0 is missing.
Run 'mknod /dev/fb0 c 29 0' to create it

I do see this in the startup script. Once I define it (or if I run as
root), I get

# /usr/local/bin/startmol
Mac-on-Linux 0.9.70-rc2 [Mar 19 2004 16:43]
Copyright (C) 1997-2004 Samuel Rydh
Starting MOL session 0
Fatal error: opening /dev/mol0: No such file or directory

and hangs. The Linux setup directions don't seem to be much help (not
that I expected them to be). I get an analogous thing if I put -X on
the command line.

Thanks so much for all your work on this.

Sam Bayer