Bug report for new MacOS X compilation

ted bonkenburg mol-devel@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:25:49 -0800

Hi Sam (Bayer),

It looks like you are trying to boot os x on mol.  I've only managed to
boot and install OS 9 so far.  Also, are you trying to boot your actual
os x boot partition?  I wouldn't recommend that.  I think we should try
getting os x to boot off cdrom first.  Anyway, in case it helps, here
is how I got OS 9 working...

In order to boot off my Mac OS 9 cd, I created a symlink for
/dev/cdrom, even though I figured out later I probably could have just
edited /etc/mol/molrc.macos.  Anyway, my symlink:

/dev/cdrom -> /dev/disk1s1

Then ./startmol --newworld --cdboot

This works for my iBook, where disk1 is the cdrom drive.

Once I could boot the cd, I needed somewhere to install OS 9.  Since my
iBook has a single partition and I don't want to mess anything up, I
used a file as a virtual disk.  I created a 500 MB zero-filled file
called 'molvdisk'.  Then I edited /etc/mol/molrc.macos, modifying the
"blkdev: /dev/hda..." line to be:

blkdev:	/Users/ted/molvdisk	-force -rw -whole

That's all the changes I did to my molrc.macos file.  At this point I
booted the OS 9 cd and installed on the virtual disk.  From then on I
boot off the molvdisk.  I haven't gotten networking to work yet.

I hope this helps.  Please note that I haven't tried os x yet.  I tried
booting off a .iso I have of OpenDarwin but that didn't work.  I think
we'll have to give Samuel more time to work on it :-)

ted