Re: Ext2 volumes from MOL

Subject: Re: Ext2 volumes from MOL
From: Quentin Mason (quentin-mason@cornell.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 13:11:17 MDT

Hi,

I am afraid that I almost certain that this will work.
See my post to linuxppc-user and BenH's response.

http://lists.linuxppc.org/listarcs/linuxppc-user/200006/msg01196.html
http://lists.linuxppc.org/listarcs/linuxppc-user/200006/msg01198.html

<insert response>

-Tue, Jun 27, 2000, Quentin Mason <quentin-mason@cornell.edu> wrote:
->PS: I am in contact with a number of other people who also are having
->problems with MountX. This is only really necassary for rare MacOS
->occasions eg when running Maple or Mathematica, as I understand that MOL
->can use appleshare from linux's netatalk [although I have not set it up
->yet, and possibly needs *very* recent code from BenH].
-
-I've not updated MountX for a while... I probably has problem with recent
-evolutions of the ext2 filesystem format. I can't tell if I'll ever
-update it again unfortunately.
-
-If someone want to take over...
-
-Ben.

</insert>

I believe the problem is more than the partition type. I _have_
Apple_UNIX_SVR2 partition types and I get a complete freeze every time, I
tried about 10 times and it survived the boot just once, only to hang
immediately after I tried to open the MountX-volumes. However, instead of
using MountX 0,1.... as it used to with linuxppc 1999 Q3 it gives the
partition labels as reported by tune2fs / reported when you fsck your
drives.

I suspect this is related to the partition-labelling issue that has been
discussed on linuxppc-ser several times. I suspect that it may not be too
difficult to fix, as the reason that it is nolonger promoted is that it
is nolonger maintained. Unfortunately I do not have Codewarrior so I
cannot do anything about it myself.

Q.