MoL networking: banging my head...

Subject: MoL networking: banging my head...
From: Matt Haffner (haffner@astro.wisc.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 14:25:23 MDT

I've been trying this for about a week and I think I just must be
missing something obvious. I've trolled through all of the list (and
Docs and FAQ) a few times and don't see what I'm missing.

Here's what I have:

B&W G3 rev. 1
2.2.17pre15
MoL 0.9.48/stripped 3.7 ROM

/etc/molrc has:

disable_osi_enet: no
enet_interface: eth0
unique_mol_ethernet: yes

I have OS 9 installed and have been using the Location manager to switch
to OS 8.6 OT libs when MoL is running. I have a static IP for MoL
(different than Linux) that is also switched in via Location manager on
startup. I can confirm within MoL that the settings are all correct (OT
2.0.3, TCP/IP panel looks great).

Here's the kicker. After MOL starts up, I can ping MoL from Linux and
the MAC address seems to have kicked in:

[haffner@urquell haffner]$ cat /proc/net/arp
IP address HW type Flags HW address Mask
Device
144.92.179.xxx 0x1 0x2 02:05:02:77:34:CB *
eth0

That HW addy is the one MoL reports it's going to use on startup.

But I can't get any networking out of MoL. I've tried opening up the
TCP/IP panel after startup like others have, but that doesn't help (I
think the Location manager solution fixes this anyway). TCPWatcher can't
do anything, not even a ping gets out and there's no traffic reported in
or out.

Any ideas? Should I just give up and resort to tap-ing?

mh

--
Matt Haffner                      /|------|\    University of Wisconsin
Dept. of Astronomy               /|--------|\            Madison