It works! AppleShare, too! on PB G3 (WAS Re: MOL 0.9.50: EtherTap Broken?)

Subject: It works! AppleShare, too! on PB G3 (WAS Re: MOL 0.9.50: EtherTap Broken?)
From: Mike James (mwjames@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 13:53:01 MDT

On 29 Aug 2000 00:14:22 -0700, Gregorio Gervasio Jr. <gtgj@pacbell.net>
wrote:

> I had to use the Sheep driver to get things to work the same
> way as before:
>
> netdev: tap0 -sheep

Woo-hoo, that was the secret! Thanks, Gregorio.

Now I've got the following running:
--PowerBook G3/400 Bronze
--Debian GNU/Linux 2.2
--kernel 2.2.17pre13
--mol-0.9.50
--OS 9.0.4 including OS9 Open Transport (I've been using 8.6 OT stuff)
--1 IP address masq'd through tap0 using the standard instructions

AND now AppleShare-via-IP is working. That's right, I am dancing
around my cubicle.

(Up to now all worked okay with MOL, at least thru 0.9.48. *Except*
AppleShare--I could mount an AppleShare volume from the Chooser, but
on opening a folder on the mounted volume, MOL's console video and/or
X would crash with a heavy thud--with lots of "can't allocate packet
datas" messages.)

I can provide further details for this particular setup if anyone
wants them. But right now, what I want to do is report a success and
say thank you. :-)

Mike

--
Mike James <mwjames@pobox.com>