Re: Hypothetical Question...

Subject: Re: Hypothetical Question...
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 01:11:52 MST

At 12:20 AM +0100 12/6/00, Samuel Rydh wrote:

>Also, i suspect aqua won't run without hardware
>3D acceleration.

The MacOS X Public Beta is running with Aqua unaccelerated. I had a
chance to compare and contrast it running on nearly identical B&W G3
systems, the main relevant difference being that one had a Rage 128
and the other a Voodoo3. GUI rendering performance seemed identical
between the two despite the fact that the V3 was surely unaccelerated
(the V3 only works because MacOS X can use the NDRV stored in its ROM
to change resolutions and so forth).

What's surprising to me is how good their solid window dragging is
without any acceleration.

   Tim Seufert