Re: Hypothetical Question...

Subject: Re: Hypothetical Question...
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 13:13:34 MST

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 12:11:52AM -0800, Timothy A. Seufert wrote:
> At 12:20 AM +0100 12/6/00, Samuel Rydh wrote:
>
> >Also, i suspect aqua won't run without hardware
> >3D acceleration.
>
> The MacOS X Public Beta is running with Aqua unaccelerated. I had a
> chance to compare and contrast it running on nearly identical B&W G3
> systems, the main relevant difference being that one had a Rage 128
> and the other a Voodoo3.

Ahh, thats nice. Then it shouldn't be difficult to get MacOS X running
under linux.

> GUI rendering performance seemed identical between the two despite
> the fact that the V3 was surely unaccelerated (the V3 only works
> because MacOS X can use the NDRV stored in its ROM to change
> resolutions and so forth).

The NDRV? That is an ordinary MacOS driver and MacOS X should not
be able to use it. (Or, is there a compatibility mode I haven't
heard about? With some glue code, I imagine it would be possible
to get an old MacOS video driver binary working in MacOS X.)

Cheers,

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470