Re: no ethernet??? very confused newbie

Subject: Re: no ethernet??? very confused newbie
dpates@dsdk12.net
Date: Tue Dec 12 2000 - 14:44:02 MST

Quoting "Brian M. Williams" <brian.williams@tufts.edu>:

> MOL shows the wrong MAC address in TCP/IP in the MacOS.
> Something like
> FE:FD:DE:AD:BE:EF which is not the hardware address for the mac....
> Thus
> DHCP does not pull my IP. Does MOL share the IP or what is going on???

MoL uses a virtual interface on a real network device. If you're using DHCP,
then you need to take a different tack:

1. Setup a tap or dummy network device, and assign it a gateway address on a
private netblock.
2. Setup MoL to use that tap or dummy device as its network device. Give the
MacOS session an IP address on the same private netblock (not the same IP
address).
3. Use ipfwadm, ipchains or iptables (depending on which Linux kernel you're
using) and setup masquerading for the virtual network you've created.

If you also want to run EtherTalk, you'll have to have netatalk's atalkd
installed, and appletalk protocol support either built or loaded into your
kernel, and setup an alternate AppleTalk address block and zone name for the
virtual network device. atalkd will route the EtherTalk packets for you between
the real and virtual interfaces.

Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net