Re: Networking problem

Subject: Re: Networking problem
From: Chris Boot (bootc@worldnet.fr)
Date: Wed Dec 27 2000 - 14:32:01 MST

> I'm having a problem with MOL that I hope someone else has run into
> before. I can ping/traceroute/nslookup from Mac OS without a problem,
> but when I try to run any other TCP application (e.g., Netscape) I get
> socket errors. I have a static, but DHCP assigned, IP address. I've
> configured Mac OS with the same static IP (DHCP didn't work) eth0 has
> and managed to get ping to work. Am I configuring this properly? Is my
> only option the ipmasq route? If so, can someone give me a pointer to a
> FAQ or HOWTO?

You can't have the same IP address assigned to Mac OS under MOL and Linux:
it's like having two computers on a LAN with the same IPs. You'll have to
get another IP under Mac OS or Linux for things to work, unless you use the
ipmasq way, where you would choose an arbitrary IP address (other than the
Linux one).

Best of luck,

--
    .-.        Chris Boot