Re: MOL performance quirks

Subject: Re: MOL performance quirks
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 12:34:29 MST

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 04:17:30AM -0800, Timothy A. Seufert wrote:
> The question I have is about performance. It is oddly variable.
> Some things go pretty fast, others go at a snail's pace. MacOS boots
> quickly enough, but once I'm in the Finder, it takes about 2 seconds
> for the Finder to draw the zoom rect animation when opening a window.
> But when it draws the window contents it does so acceptably fast
> (about as fast as I'd expect for unaccelerated PCI video). When I
> click on a menu, the menu draws instantly, but if I try to go to a
> submenu I have to leave the mouse cursor on it for several seconds
> before the submenu will open.
>
> Is this sort of behavior happening anywhere else? I can't imagine
> that it's normal; I see no reason why it would take forever to draw a
> zoom rect animation but take a fraction of a second to draw the
> window contents. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the
> new MOL code which tries to reduce system load based on MacOS CPU
> idling is sometimes getting fooled into not giving the virtual Mac
> enough CPU time.

This is almost certainly a timer calibration problem.
I'd appreciate it if you could run the MacOS application "Ticks"
uploaded to the experimental folder. This program should
print a log message once per second (if the calibration is
correct).

Btw, it would be great if other people could try the
Ticks application too. I really haven't verified that this
frequency is correct on other machines than the
B&W G3, 350 Mhz.

Cheers,

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470