Re: MOL performance quirks

Subject: Re: MOL performance quirks
andrew@macduff.dhs.org
Date: Wed Sep 26 1956 - 09:41:23 MST

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Samuel Rydh wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 04:17:30AM -0800, Timothy A. Seufert wrote:
> > The question I have is about performance. It is oddly variable.
> > Some things go pretty fast, others go at a snail's pace. MacOS boots
> > quickly enough, but once I'm in the Finder, it takes about 2 seconds
> > for the Finder to draw the zoom rect animation when opening a window.
> > But when it draws the window contents it does so acceptably fast
> > (about as fast as I'd expect for unaccelerated PCI video). When I
> > click on a menu, the menu draws instantly, but if I try to go to a
> > submenu I have to leave the mouse cursor on it for several seconds
> > before the submenu will open.
> >
> > Is this sort of behavior happening anywhere else? I can't imagine
> > that it's normal; I see no reason why it would take forever to draw a
> > zoom rect animation but take a fraction of a second to draw the
> > window contents. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the
> > new MOL code which tries to reduce system load based on MacOS CPU
> > idling is sometimes getting fooled into not giving the virtual Mac
> > enough CPU time.
>
> This is almost certainly a timer calibration problem.
> I'd appreciate it if you could run the MacOS application "Ticks"
> uploaded to the experimental folder. This program should
> print a log message once per second (if the calibration is
> correct).
>
> Btw, it would be great if other people could try the
> Ticks application too. I really haven't verified that this
> frequency is correct on other machines than the
> B&W G3, 350 Mhz.

I've been having the same performance quirks... the zoom animation and a
few other things are *really* slow, but everything else seems to work
fine. (Except that sometimes the mouse clicks don't register correctly,
but as I recall, that's a problem with the X server, right?)

Anyway, I downloaded the Ticks program. I get one tick approximately every
ten seconds. Weird.

My machine is a Workgroup Server 7350, 180 MHz 604e, 256 Megs of RAM (of
which I give 64 Megs to MOL), running MacOS 9.0 on mol-0.9.39 on Linux
2.2.14 and the stock linuxppc-1999 X server.

-Andrew