Re: Mac-on-Linux FAQ

Subject: Re: Mac-on-Linux FAQ
phandel@cise.ufl.edu
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 10:11:04 MST

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Brian Foddy wrote:

> OSs. Just make sure the MOL has a different IP address
> than the Linux side. This can be difficult (if not impossible)
> if you are on DHCP, but if you can set the IP address, just

This is not sufficient in most cases. Usually, you need to set up another
device so that MoL can access LinuxPPC and vice-versa (see Martin's howto
post). I have a different IP address in MoL and LinuxPPC, and, while
networking works in both environments, they cannot ping each other. I am
running MacTCPWatcher in MacOS, so that should respond to pings.

You can easily request another IP address in a DHCP environment by using
Gratuitous ARP ("garp") from http://mind.be/software/garp.

Thanks,
Peter

--
Peter F. Handel          "[The anti-Christ] also forced everyone, small and
phandel@cise.ufl.edu      great ... to receive a mark [smart card?] on his