Re: Mac-on-Linux FAQ

Subject: Re: Mac-on-Linux FAQ
From: Brian Anderson (brian@cowan.edu.au)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 22:58:21 MST

G'day,

I too have no problem with IP between my linuxppc system and mol v0.9.41
running on it. I have static IP's on each!

regards
brian

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Brian Foddy wrote:

> phandel@cise.ufl.edu wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Brian Foddy wrote:
> >
> > > OSs. Just make sure the MOL has a different IP address
> > > than the Linux side. This can be difficult (if not impossible)
> > > if you are on DHCP, but if you can set the IP address, just
> >
> > This is not sufficient in most cases. Usually, you need to set up another
> > device so that MoL can access LinuxPPC and vice-versa (see Martin's howto
> > post). I have a different IP address in MoL and LinuxPPC, and, while
> > networking works in both environments, they cannot ping each other. I am
> > running MacTCPWatcher in MacOS, so that should respond to pings.
> >
> > You can easily request another IP address in a DHCP environment by using
> > Gratuitous ARP ("garp") from http://mind.be/software/garp.
> >

> I admit I can't ping from Linux to MOL, and probably can't do other
> tcp services, but I can telnet from MOL to Linux on the same machine.
>
> And I would think most of the time that is the direction you want to go.
>
> My only network persistant problem is the occasional Packet Allocation
> errors, and its been much better in the past few releases.

Brian Anderson mailto:b.anderson@cowan.edu.au
Edith Cowan University Phone: +61 8 9273 8103
Pearson Street, Churchlands Mobile: +61 040 7474 093
Western AUSTRALIA Fax: +61 8 9273 8000

    In a world without walls and fences,who needs windows and gates!