Re: MOL things that are busting my butt

Subject: Re: MOL things that are busting my butt
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 15:06:47 MST

On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 08:43:55PM -0800, Michael 'Mickey' Sattler wrote:
> (1) Why is my volume locked? The device isn't mounted from within LinuxPPC.
Probably you have specified something like

        blkdev: /dev/sda -rw

change this into

        blkdev: /dev/sdaN -rw

where N is the partition number.

When the /dev/sda form is used, then any read-write linux-mounted volume
on /dev/sda (e.g. /dev/sda5 containing an ext2 partition) will cause MOL
to give up read-write privileges on all partitions on /dev/sda. (This
inhibition isn't really necessary but are present due to historical
reasons.)

> (2) Why does MOL sometimes dive into Slow Video mode and what can I
> do about it, other than killing it?
"Slow video mode" means that the bit depth of the X-display does not
match the bit depth of the MacOS video - an extra blitting is performed.
On my G3 the speed difference isn't that big (X beeing the dominating
performance obstacle).

The extra depth blitting can be avoided by setting the number
of colors in MacOS to a setting compatible with the Xserver.

> (3) Even when I run as root the new resolution doesn't take. I
> presume /usr/lib/mol/nvram/nvram.* writable by mol.

This information might be saved on the startup disk rather then
into the nvram (thus it won't be saved if the startup disk is locked).

> (6) What are the exact commands I must type to (a) patch the kernel
> and (b) give startmol the sticky bit so that any user may run MOL?

a)
(as root)
cd /usr/lib/mol/bin ; ./molpatching [System.map]
insmod -f /usr/lib/mol/modules/mol.o
insmod -f /usr/lib/mol/modules/sheep_net.o

b)
Startmol doesn't need to be run as root if the molpatching script
has been run and the modules are loaded. However, it is currently
impossible for a normal user to kill the MOL process if MOL
by some reason doesn't exit normally. (This should be fixed)

I don't think it is possible to use the "set user ID" bit
to run a script with root privileges (it can be set but it
isn't used).

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470