Slow Video appears only when things seem to screw up

Subject: Slow Video appears only when things seem to screw up
From: Michael 'Mickey' Sattler (michael@GeekTimes.com)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 22:31:06 MST

Tim Seufert said to me:

>At 8:43 PM -0800 2/20/00, Michael 'Mickey' Sattler wrote:
>
>>(2) Why does MOL sometimes dive into Slow Video mode and what can I do about
>>it, other than killing it?
>
>"Slow Video" means that the virtual Mac is trying to draw with a
>different color depth than your X server is running. That causes a
>pretty big performance penalty when MOL copies the Mac screen data
>to the X window. The solution is simply to set the virtual Mac to
>the same bit depth as the X server.

Interesting. I only see "Slow Video" appear just as the MOL screen
goes black. I'm not sure what's going wrong to trigger it.

What should I do to properly stop MOL, other than kill?

What can I do to prevent this wierdness from happening? I'll keep
note of what things screw up and if I find something repeatable I'll
let the readership know.

--

Michael

-- Michael "Mickey" Sattler, Geek Times <mailto:michael@GeekTimes.com> San Francisco, California, USA <http://www.GeekTimes.com/michael/> AOL Instant Messenger ID: "SF Geek"