Re: MOL AND APUS

Subject: Re: MOL AND APUS
From: Jan Hendrik Schulz (SCHULZJAN@dame.de )
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 10:40:29 MST

Samuel Rydh wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 10:33:00PM +0100, Jan Hendrik Schulz wrote:
> >
> > Rangel Badillo Daniel wrote:
> >
> > > I'm new to this ML and I'm looking for Amiga users running
> > > MOL under LUNUXPPC-APUS (Amiga Power Up Systems).
> >
> > I'm trying to, but with no success so far. :-(
> >
> > I looks, as if the APUS kernel (version 2.2.10) can not be
> > patched at runtime. Therefore I tried to compile a patched
> > kernel. But if I try to boot Linux with the patched
> > kernel the computer crashes imediatelly!
>
> The problem is that the low-level APUS kernel code
> differes a bit from the "standard" kernels. Only minor
> modifications should be necessary to get MOL working, but

Do you know what kind of "minor modifications" are necessary?
Or do you have (at least) an idea?

> it definitely takes someone with assembly knowledge

I do have assembly knowledge, but mainly 68k and only a bit
PowerPC. But it's never to late to learn something new. :-)

> (and access to an APUS machine).

I do have access to an APUS machine. So, if nowbody else
wants to do the job, I would try my best. But I need some
help, I need some information.

Tell me more about the MOL patches: What are they supposed to do?
How are they supposed to work? What could be the problem with the
APUS kernel? What could be done to solve the problem (at least
an idea)?

> If I remember right, the main problem is a "dynamic" kernelbase.

Yes, the kernelbase is "dynamic" (as far as I could see that). But
why is that a problem? And what must be done to fix it?

PS: Sorry for the late reply, but I had problems with my email
address that I'm using for this list.

--