Re: MOL AND APUS

Subject: Re: MOL AND APUS
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 16:30:13 MST

On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 10:33:00PM +0100, Jan Hendrik Schulz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Rangel Badillo Daniel wrote:
>
> > I'm new to this ML and I'm looking for Amiga users running
> > MOL under LUNUXPPC-APUS (Amiga Power Up Systems).
>
> I'm trying to, but with no success so far. :-(
>
> I looks, as if the APUS kernel (version 2.2.10) can not be
> patched at runtime. Therefore I tried to compile a patched
> kernel. But if I try to boot Linux with the patched
> kernel the computer crashes imediatelly!
>
> I tried to find the problem, but the MOL patches are at a
> very low-level part of the kernel sources, and neither my
> knowledge about linux, nor my knowledge about PPC assembler
> is good enough, to solve the problems.
>
> All I could find is this commend in one of the patched
> files (head.S) which may point to the problem:
>
> Please note that on APUS the exception handlers
> are located at the physical address 0xfff0000.
> For this reason, the exception handlers cannot
> use relative branches to access the code below.
>
> If someone knows how to get MOL running on the Amiga, please
> tell me! :-)

The problem is that the low-level APUS kernel code
differes a bit from the "standard" kernels. Only minor
modifications should be necessary to get MOL working, but
it definitely takes someone with assembly knowledge
(and access to an APUS machine).

If I remember right, the main problem is a "dynamic" kernelbase.

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470