Re: MOL AND APUS

Subject: Re: MOL AND APUS
From: Jan Hendrik Schulz (SCHULZJAN@dame.de )
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 14:33:00 MST

Hi!

Rangel Badillo Daniel wrote:

> I'm new to this ML and I'm looking for Amiga users running
> MOL under LUNUXPPC-APUS (Amiga Power Up Systems).

I'm trying to, but with no success so far. :-(

If I try to start MOL with `startmol' I only get the following
output:

    Using MOL library directory /usr/lib/mol
    This kernel is NOT runtime patched
    Trying to apply MOL runtime patches.
    **** Examining '/boot/System.map' ****
    **** Success ****
    Patching the kernel ...
    Rule 0: *** FAILED ***
    Rule 1: *** FAILED ***
    Rule 2: *** FAILED ***
    Rule 3: *** FAILED ***
    Rule 4: *** FAILED ***
    Rule 5: *** FAILED ***
    Rule 6: *** FAILED ***
    Rule 7: *** FAILED ***
    Rule 10: *** FAILED ***
    Rule 12: *** FAILED ***
    No patching was perfomed

I looks, as if the APUS kernel (version 2.2.10) can not be
patched at runtime. Therefore I tried to compile a patched
kernel. But if I try to boot Linux with the patched
kernel the computer crashes imediatelly!

I tried to find the problem, but the MOL patches are at a
very low-level part of the kernel sources, and neither my
knowledge about linux, nor my knowledge about PPC assembler
is good enough, to solve the problems.

All I could find is this commend in one of the patched
files (head.S) which may point to the problem:

    Please note that on APUS the exception handlers
    are located at the physical address 0xfff0000.
    For this reason, the exception handlers cannot
    use relative branches to access the code below.

If someone knows how to get MOL running on the Amiga, please
tell me! :-)

Bye, Jan Hendrik Schulz