Re: The Future

Subject: Re: The Future
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 13:48:35 MST

At 8:14 PM +0100 2/18/00, Kyle Wheeler wrote:

>6. Video Acceleration
>
>Fairly self-explanatory, but I don't know how this would be done - going
>through accelerated X? Using the Linux Kernel? Allowing MOL direct access to
>the PCI bus (would it "play nice" with the rest of Linux)? or perhaps special
>MacOS extensions to pipe accellerated video directly to MOL?

This would have to be done with a MOL abstraction layer between MacOS
and the hardware. That is, there would need to be a MOL accelerated
video driver which MacOS uses to draw things.

This could potentially run on a VC. The MOL driver would do the same
kinds of things an accel X server would, and you'd have to write a
MOL driver for each kind of video card you wanted to support. Or,
you could run on top of X where the MOL driver would translate Mac
draw commands to X draw commands.

   Tim Seufert