Re: MOL AND APUS

Subject: Re: MOL AND APUS
From: john peter grimes (jpgrimes@midway.uchicago.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 16:37:17 MST

Samuel,
        Maybe I am doing something wrong but I am getting the same error
on my PowerCenter. I was running mol fine until I upgraded to mol
0.9.41-1. Previously I had been running 0.9.39-1 I think. Haven't looked
at it too closely, just figured I was doing something stupid. Was going
to go looking through the mail list archives and see if anyone had had
this problem before.
        I'm running kernel 2.2.14pre9 which I compiled myself. The mol
patches are run time currently.

    Rule 0: *** FAILED ***

        So what did I screw up?
        thanks,
        john

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Samuel Rydh wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 10:33:00PM +0100, Jan Hendrik Schulz wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Rangel Badillo Daniel wrote:
> >
> > > I'm new to this ML and I'm looking for Amiga users running
> > > MOL under LUNUXPPC-APUS (Amiga Power Up Systems).
> >
> > I'm trying to, but with no success so far. :-(
> >
> > I looks, as if the APUS kernel (version 2.2.10) can not be
> > patched at runtime. Therefore I tried to compile a patched
> > kernel. But if I try to boot Linux with the patched
> > kernel the computer crashes imediatelly!
> >
> > I tried to find the problem, but the MOL patches are at a
> > very low-level part of the kernel sources, and neither my
> > knowledge about linux, nor my knowledge about PPC assembler
> > is good enough, to solve the problems.
> >
> > All I could find is this commend in one of the patched
> > files (head.S) which may point to the problem:
> >
> > Please note that on APUS the exception handlers
> > are located at the physical address 0xfff0000.
> > For this reason, the exception handlers cannot
> > use relative branches to access the code below.
> >
> > If someone knows how to get MOL running on the Amiga, please
> > tell me! :-)
> >

> The problem is that the low-level APUS kernel code
> differes a bit from the "standard" kernels. Only minor
> modifications should be necessary to get MOL working, but
> it definitely takes someone with assembly knowledge
> (and access to an APUS machine).
>
> If I remember right, the main problem is a "dynamic" kernelbase.
>
> /Samuel

> E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
> Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470

* Vote for Bill Bradley! *
* Insert appropriately generic reason (which I probably believe in) *
* here. Please find out more at www.billbradley.com *
           John Grimes - Mission Planner for Chandra X-Ray Telescope
Phone (H) 617-591-1393 (W) 617-496-7663 (Fax) 617-495-7356
Email me@johngrimes.com Web http://www.johngrimes.com
Pager 1-800-473-6312 Alphanumeric 4736312@mobilecomm.net)