Re: problems starting on 3400

Subject: Re: problems starting on 3400
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 11:16:12 MDT

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 10:33:27AM +0100, Tate Stephen SA wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have finally managed to compile a current kernel with mol patch for my
> 3400. Now after I start mol all I get is a black screen title mol and a disk
> that goes wild! The disk seems to be checking something as it is counting up
> in hex. I have left this for a while but nothing seems to happen.
>
> Checking the console the does show that mol is starting and detects the
> mounted disks but then gets a little screwed up.
> I do not have a system on a HFS partition it is on a HFS+ partition all I
> want to start with is a sad mac and a ping to say that its starting.
>
> The rom image that I am using is from a OS8.5 install disk and the kernel is
> a patched latest stable from linuxcare rsync tree.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Steve Tate

Well, the ROM on the 8.5 install disk is not supported
(and I don't think it works). You need to use a ROM from
8.6 or later (and a MacOS 8.6 system).

The "hex counting" is probably MOL accessing unmapped
memory. This usually happens when an unsupported
newworld ROM is used.

Cheers,

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470