MOL- Retrospect - DAT-drive?

Subject: MOL- Retrospect - DAT-drive?
From: MOL general (mol-general@haidhausen.dyndns.org )
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 11:01:39 MDT

Hi List,

please excuse if this has been asked before - I tried to find an answer,
but couldn't yet...

...here comes the question:

might it be possible to have MOL running on an

- PMac 8500/180
- LinuxPPC 2000
- setup with about 192 MB RAM
- and two separate hardware ethernet-interfaces (so one could be reserved
for MOL)
- and an SCSI-DAT-streamer attached

with the Retrospect Network-backup-server software installed and doing
network backups of all Macs on this network?

OK, I know I can do this with any Mac/MacOS-Retrospect-combination :o) -
but would it work under MOL?

Unfortunately MOL is _extremely_ slow with the above setup (tried G3 and
604e - 'emulation'), so I did not try any further than installing and
playing with it a little bit (btw. Timbuktu runs great under MOL ;o)

I have been reading that 'direct SCSI' is not (yet?) supported by MOL -
examples state scanning...would the Retrospect-backup also be 'direct
SCSI'?

TIA!

chris henkel

--