Re: MOL- Retrospect - DAT-drive?

Subject: Re: MOL- Retrospect - DAT-drive?
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 10:24:30 MDT

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 07:01:39PM +0200, MOL general wrote:
> might it be possible to have MOL running on an
>
> - PMac 8500/180
> - LinuxPPC 2000
> - setup with about 192 MB RAM
> - and two separate hardware ethernet-interfaces (so one could be reserved
> for MOL)
Yes.

> - and an SCSI-DAT-streamer attached
No.

> I have been reading that 'direct SCSI' is not (yet?) supported by MOL -
> examples state scanning...would the Retrospect-backup also be 'direct
> SCSI'?
Yes.

> Unfortunately MOL is _extremely_ slow with the above setup (tried G3 and
> 604e - 'emulation'), so I did not try any further than installing and
> playing with it a little bit (btw. Timbuktu runs great under MOL ;o)

Some things you could try to boost performance:

- Use console video (*much* faster than the X-based video).
- Turn off VM
- Make sure the disk-cache setting is sensible (there is currently
a problem saving the nvram settings when one uses an oldworld ROM,
depending on system version. I'll try to fix this in the next release).

Btw, I'd be happy if some people on this list could try the
pre-0.9.49 version available from the bitkeeper server.
This version contains several performance improvements:

- Significantly reduced overhead (My iBook boots 5-10% faster,
the gain ought to be larger on slower machines).
- BAT-mapped console video
- Cached console framebuffer (this really makes a difference)
- The VBL frequency now matches the physical video mode
(should give a smoother mouse among other things).

Unfortunately, 601 support is currently broken but I intend
to fix this one way or another.

The Bitkeeper utility is available from www.bitkeeper.org
and the MOL-repository is

        bk://waltari.theophys.kth.se:5000

To run the (uninstalled) MOL-binary, do the following:

1) Make sure the mol-0.9.48 rpm is installed since
no binary files (mac-side drivers) are included in the
repository. By default mol looks for them in
/usr/lib/mol but this can be changed by a
'rootdir: path_to_libdir' line in the /etc/molrc file.

2) Copy the file mol-bk/lib/oftrees/oftree.nw to
/usr/lib/mol/oftrees/oftree.nw (or as an alternative,
copy the pcirom files from /usr/lib/mol to the lib dir
of the source tree and let rootdir point to mol-bk/lib).

3) Run ./startmol in the root of the source tree.

Note: 'make install' won't work if the path to the
binaries isn't correctly specified in the Makefile.

Cheers,

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470