Re: Copy MAC OS ROM From Startup disk

Subject: Re: Copy MAC OS ROM From Startup disk
From: Derek Homeier (supas100@astrophysik.uni-kiel.de)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 10:15:46 MDT

Hi!

Most of this message was commented, so I'm not sure which is your actual
problem, or who did post the original message?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Albert W D'Amanda wrote:

> >Problem.
> >I am trying to configure MOL with reference to copying MAC OS ROM file from MAC System folder to linux rom directory
>
> > my system is 8.6 but installation CD is 8.5 with OS ROM.V1.1.2
>
> > Per download source ( apple) given in the MOL User's guide, OS 8.6 ROM is V1.6
> I assume that I must maintain compatibility with OS8.6 and its ROM V1.6.
> for the linux rom folder . True????

Yes and no. AFAIK, OS and ROM versions need not match, but MOL requires a
ROM file from at least version 8.6.

> >OK. Guide tells me that I can obtain the "Mac OS ROM" from the System Folder of the start up disk. I assume they mean OS6 ,which I have on a separate partition on of the drive that linux is installed on.
>
> >But looking at OS8.6 system folder . there is no MAC OS ROM file. I have never seen this named file in any mac system folder on a hard drive. Its on the CD, but I thought that when you install, the CD ROM file loads ROM memory hardware but is not loaded to the hard drive itself . True?
>
> Question: what do "they" refer to and is there someway to copy this ROM
> file over to linux rom file that I do not know about?

This file is only installed with "New World" Macs, older Macs have all
of their ROM on the mainboard.

> > The other option is to download it from apple, but they are always crowded and the manual talks about some "tomeViewer utility What is that!!
>
> > Another option is to get the OS8.6 disk,if there is one
> made, ?.

I haven't checked that, since the links on the download page of
maconlinux.org are still broken, but I'd recommend you take the time
and download the ROM file from Apple nonetheless.
You might try to extract it from the install tomes of your system CD
using the tomeviewer utility, but you'll probably need an OS8.6 CD for
that, since earlier versions do not contain a ROM file.

HTH,
                                                        Derek