Re: Ongoing Saga-Getting MOL to Work

Subject: Re: Ongoing Saga-Getting MOL to Work
From: JHS (jhergan@home.com)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 07:45:36 MDT

on 7/21/00 4:32 AM, Albert W D'Amanda at aldamand@home.com wrote:

>> My equipment ; 7600 G3 400/1MB , OS8.6
>> Vehicle: Stock linuxPPC 2000 / GNOME Desktop
>> Ref: Mac-on Linux User's guide and downloaded molrc "help"
>> what I have done
> 1. downloaded ,on the Mac side, Mac OS ROM Update (8.6)
>
> 2. Using TOME, extracted MAC OS ROM , and dragged to System File
> on starup drive
>
> 3. Transferred MAC OS ROM image to linux/rom file as rom.nw via
> mount and strip_nwrom. Cheked OK at that location.
>
> 4.When command startmol get following error msg
> -This kernel is NOT runtime patched
> -Failed applying the mol-patches to the kernel
>
> 5 Things I looked at
>
> -/boot/system see MACOS ROM
>
> -/boot see 2.2.15pre3 (boot up stock kernel) and
> 2.2.14-1.3 ?????
>

> -/usr/src/linux-2.2.14 ????
>
> 6. so what do I do now? Users guide says that I should boot into MAC.
> No mention of "patches" required for this newworld ROM. Have OS8.6
>
> thanks for your time
>
> albert

Have you enabled the mol kernel support?
I know there are a few machines that don't support thr run-time patch, like
my Performa 6360, but I don't recall that being a problem on your machine...
it should patch when you startmol. If your machine does not support the
run-time patching then you'd have to patch the kernel (info in
/usr/doc/mol-/Kernel_Patches or thereabout).

jeff