Re: Odd ethernet TCP/IP problem switching between MOL and regular Mac OS

Subject: Re: Odd ethernet TCP/IP problem switching between MOL and regular Mac OS
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 10:15:27 MDT

On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 10:23:03AM -0400, William K. Gibson wrote:
> on 7/24/00 3:51 AM, Samuel Rydh at samuel@ibrium.se wrote:
>
> > Anyway, I've modified the linux part of the ethernet
> > driver to interface ethertap directly without using
> > sheep_net (sheep_net is really superfluous when one
> > uses ethertap).
>
> Uhh, can you describe how I can do this? Or do we need to wait for the next
> beta release?

I'm afraid you'll have to wait (should be in the
repository tomorrow or Thursday).

Btw, I've been investigating interrupt- and I/O latencies
in MOL and redesigned the receiver layer of the ethnernet
driver. Now I typically get 1.3 ms when pinging MOL-MacOS
on tap0. I have also measured transfer speeds of 2-3 MB/s
for FTP transfers of large files between the local host
and MOL.

Currently I'm examining why sheep_net can't see the local
host. I'm considering using sheep_net/enet for AppleTalk
and tap0 (without sheep_net) for IP. This way, one
could completely avoid netatalk.

Cheers,

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470