fbset 2.1, .49, various stuff

Subject: fbset 2.1, .49, various stuff
From: Michel Pollet (michel@pollet.net)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 05:16:35 MDT

Hi there,

I just started to update myself on linux ppc hacking once again, and I
played with MOL too.

I'm using the MOL .49 which is in the BitKeeper tree, and I have a few
remarks / questions.

+ When is that tree updated ? seems it has been stagnant for a couple weeks
?
+ Where do I send patches ? The List ? Samuel ?
+ Seems MOL doesn't handle the new options in /etc/fb.modes version >= 2.1.
new lines have "accel true/false" and "rgba". Has anyone fixed it or should
I ?

Now, getting bugged by Ben to hack stuff in MOL, he asked me to make the
clipboard work between X & MacOS. it is not very tricky to do with the OSI
interface thing, but I was wondering if anyone plan to have a TVector patch
mechanism, to allow to do "quick patches" from MOL instead to have to write
a driver/INIT for that kind of stuff.

Maybe make a generic driver that allows registration of OSI function to be
called on specified TVecs...

I've also been discussing shared disks, and how we might pull that one off.
Basic problem is file system format - being independent, or not -
Basic possibilities were:

+ Using a netatalk base:
Would involve stripping netatalk of anything related to ethertalk, use the
ASIP API on the mac and the ASIP/FS API from netatlak on the host to
simulate disks. Those netatlak bits would be embeded into MOL.
+ Having an 'external FS' on the mac (aka, MountX) which encapsulate
everything into OSI call to access the hosts FS. Problems is that it
wouldn't handle "easily" mac specific junk (resource forks).

Comments, Ideas?
Michel