Re: MOL Audio: /dev/dsp?-KDE_OK,GnomeNo

Subject: Re: MOL Audio: /dev/dsp?-KDE_OK,GnomeNo
From: Tom (tommyr@agora.rdrop.com)
Date: Sat Jun 03 2000 - 03:41:47 MDT

mol-0.9.46-1
Sound Preferences Corrected and MacOnLinux Audio sliders in Sound:Volumes
LombardG3
MacOS 8.6
Sound work fine running mpg

I used to have the boing and other sounds functioning. Now I get the
following error message. I have been slowly upgrading to LinuxPPC2000 and
recently upgraded the gnome packages.

osi_sound driver opened
----> Failed to open /dev/dsp - Sound Disabled
Mapping GC at 80800000
Starting emulation...

I've tried various window managers and toggled various sound settings
within those window managers. How does one go about locating what might
be controlling /dev/dsp and preventing mol access?

Under KDE not yet upgraded to most recent rpm's mol functions CORRECTLY.

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Samuel Rydh wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 07:15:09PM -0400, Matthew Cox wrote:
> > David wrote:
> >
> > > You don't have sound functioning on your LinuxPPC side. Check to see that
> > > the dmasound module is loading correctly, if you have it compiled as a
> > > module. Run some tests with mpg123 or some other Linux-based audio (even
> > > backspacing in an xterm (with 'xset b on') will make a beep if audio is
> > > working).
> >
> > Interesting that you should say sound isn't working, because it is. I'm
> > listening to xmms as I write this.
> >
> Probably "someone else" (perhaps the window manager) are
> using /dev/dsp and thus prevents MOL from opening it.
>
> Btw. I've found and eliminated the video problem occuring
> with ROMs >= 3.2. I'll upload a new release within an hour or
> so (also containing Charles McLachlan's VNC server).
>
> /Samuel

> E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
> Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470

tom				| "When we are born we cry that we have
tommyr@agora.rdrop.com		|  come to this great stage of fools!"