Re: patching 2.2.15pre19 kernel

Subject: Re: patching 2.2.15pre19 kernel
sa@space.itacs.to
Date: Sat Jun 03 2000 - 06:00:18 MDT

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 11:45:43AM +0200, Philippe Lelédy wrote:
> I am a glad MOL users since 5 months.
> I've just upgrade to 2.2.15pre19 kernel and mol-0.9.45-1 and mol works fine.
> when started in the usual way by startmol (as root).
> BUT, I am no more able to patch the kernel at boot time.
> Modules are hard to load because of version discrepancy.
> I tried
>
> insmod -f
>
> but it works only for sheep_net.o not for mol.o.
>
> It is of little consequence, because startmol do well the job.
>
> Also I compiled MASQ and ETHERTAP statically, startup-inits are so simpler.
>
> Is it a good idea to do the same for mol patches and modules ?

I don't believe you can compile the mol modules statically into the
kernel. But if you recompiled mol with your new kernel you can get
rid of the version discrepancies! And about those kernel patches, I
have always applied them to my kernel before compiling it. (I have a
603ev so I have to) and have had no problems. I think it is good
either way.

Good luck,
sa