Re: MOL Ethernet Patch (mol-0.9.47)

Subject: Re: MOL Ethernet Patch (mol-0.9.47)
From: Bill Fink (billfink@capu.net)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 03:33:53 MDT

Charlie McLachlan wrote:

> > the enclosed patch to MOL to accomplish this. The way it does this is
> > to give MOL a unique Ethernet address by setting the locally defined
> > Ethernet address bit and then using the SIOCADDMULTI ioctl to tell the
> > Ethernet hardware to listen for this additional Ethernet address. This
>
> Very good.
>
> I think this is a much better way to filter packets than my IP based
> method. Indeed, I would say it totally negates the need for my patch
> at all.

I wouldn't go that far. For those Ethernet controllers that don't
support the method I'm using, your IP filtering scheme is still very
useful, and that is what will still be done if unique_mol_ethernet
is set to no or undefined. For example, on my friend's powerbook
which uses the bmac driver, I haven't been able to get my method to
work, even by commenting out the check for the multicast Ethernet
address bit being set in bmac_set_multicast, but I still have a few
other tricks I want to try in that case.

                                                -Bill Fink