Re: MOL Ethernet Patch (mol-0.9.47)

Subject: Re: MOL Ethernet Patch (mol-0.9.47)
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (bh40@calva.net)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 06:31:37 MDT

On Tue, Jun 6, 2000, Bill Fink <billfink@capu.net> wrote:

>> > the enclosed patch to MOL to accomplish this. The way it does this is
>> > to give MOL a unique Ethernet address by setting the locally defined
>> > Ethernet address bit and then using the SIOCADDMULTI ioctl to tell the
>> > Ethernet hardware to listen for this additional Ethernet address. This
>>
>> Very good.
>>
>> I think this is a much better way to filter packets than my IP based
>> method. Indeed, I would say it totally negates the need for my patch
>> at all.
>
>I wouldn't go that far. For those Ethernet controllers that don't
>support the method I'm using, your IP filtering scheme is still very
>useful, and that is what will still be done if unique_mol_ethernet
>is set to no or undefined. For example, on my friend's powerbook
>which uses the bmac driver, I haven't been able to get my method to
>work, even by commenting out the check for the multicast Ethernet
>address bit being set in bmac_set_multicast, but I still have a few
>other tricks I want to try in that case.

The ethertap driver is quite small (and I've heard it's not really
maintained). So what about simply merging it's code inside our own net-
driver, and have it compile along with MOL ? This way, we could
dynamically configure the ethernet to be either routed locally (tap-like)
or on a separate IP, and we can also automatically configure the kernel
router.

Ben.