MoL and Esound / Emergency sysrq usage [was Re: mmol, esd and compiling from 0.9.48 source]

Subject: MoL and Esound / Emergency sysrq usage [was Re: mmol, esd and compiling from 0.9.48 source]
phandel@cise.ufl.edu
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 04:18:11 MDT

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 anvil@digithought.net wrote:

> I wrote a little quick modification to samuels driver to support esd ,
> although it's far from perfect
> (NOTE , quick) so the startup sound might sound very weird, however once
> in macos it should work
> good (it's hardcoded to 44khz / 16bit stereo , so don't change unless
> you want funny sounds)
[snip]
> You will also need to include -lesd in the Makefile of MOL.

A few notes I've found with your patch:

1) Add "use_esd: yes" to your /etc/molrc
2) Leave "disable_osi_sound: no"
3) esd must be running for MoL to even boot. If you try starting MoL
without esd, MoL will halfway quit and leave your machine in a very
unstable state.

Oh, and if your machine does lock up, remember the magic sysrq key (hope
you compiled it in!): <shift> <F13> Hold that combination down with
"s" to sync your disks and "u" to unmount your disks. ie: <shift> <F13> s
then <shift> <F13> u

Other than that, it works great - you beat me to the punch :)

Thanks,
Pete

--
Peter F. Handel          "[The anti-Christ] also forced everyone, small and
phandel@cise.ufl.edu      great ... to receive a mark [smart card?] on his