MOL ethernet deafness [update, soln?]

Subject: MOL ethernet deafness [update, soln?]
From: Stefan Jeglinski (jeglin@4pi.com)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 10:45:51 MDT

About 10 days ago I wrote in regarding a situation with MOL, in which
the ethernet would repeatedly go deaf after about 24-48 hours. The
only thing that fixes it is to reboot MOL. A couple of suggestions I
received seemed irrelevant (for example, rmmod/insmod sheep_net or
mol, but this can't be done while MOL is running AFAICT, so reboot is
only solution).

Anyway, it has gone for 5-6 days now without the deafness, and I have
a possible reason. But first, the setup:

PowerTowerPro, PowerLogix G3 upgrade
Linux 2.2.16, one ethernet interface up (eth0, Mac built-in ethernet)
-separate- IPs on eth0 and MOL TCP/IP.
ethertap not used
running SIMS as mailserver on MOL

The key appears to be this: the IP I'm using for the MOL TCP/IP used
to be on a machine that ran a caching-only name server. Some of the
machines in our office were still pointed to that IP. So the MOL IP
was randomly and intermittently receiving DNS lookup requests. This
is now fixed around the office and the MOL IP no longer receives
these requests. And the deafness has disappeared (I've been waiting
to write in about this to see how robust it was, so far so good, but
Murpghy's Law suggests it will go deaf shortly :-).

When I first stumbled on this, I tried directly to kill MOL ethernet
with DNS requests, without success. So there is not a direct
correlation, but maybe over time, or maybe if there are concurrent
DNS requests, or something similar that triggers it.

Anyway, it's a shot in the dark, just to inform MOL developers of
what I see, maybe it will ring a bell or alert you to something...

Stefan Jeglinski