MOL speed - some benchmarks

Subject: MOL speed - some benchmarks
From: Geoff Ghose (geoff@focus.neusc.bcm.tmc.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 13:51:39 MDT

"Alex J. Avriette" wrote:

> >I'm running mol 0.9.48 on a G3 Powerbook. I'm very happy with it - given
> >128 MB, it doesn't seem noticeably slower than native MacOS!
>
> I run 0.9.48 as well, on a G3/350/192, and I give mol 72MB. The macos
> doesnt seem to take up more than 40MB in mol, but it is quite a bit
> slower than native macos. Is there a reason yours is running faster?
>
> >I also use gdm with sawmill and gnome-session.
>
> I run mol within KDE. is it perhaps that only my _video_ is slow?
> (no, actually, seit@home is something like 1/2 speed while within
> mol, now that i think of it)
>
> can anyone offer some ideas here?

I thought I'd run some benchmarks comparing Native Mac OS with MOL Mac OS.

The specifics

a 7300/200 with a 400 MHz G3 upgrade card
Mac OS 9.04
Speed Doubler 8.0 running

Native Mac

MacBench 5.0 (G3/300 = 1000)

Processor = 1214
Floating Point = 1250

Helios LanTest (over 10 BT to switched 100BT netatalk server)

Write 1068 KB/s
Read 969 KB/s

MOL 0.9.48-1

unique_mol_ethernet yes
VNC as display, no other process taking up much CPU (mol reads 99% CPU)
sound_sync_value = 150

MacBench 5.0

Processor = 776
Floating Point = 1139

Helios LanTest
Write 204.22 KB/s
Read 810.45 KB/s

So, as much as you take any benchmark seriously, mol is about 60% as fast as native,
except for floating point in which case it is close to native.

Outgoing ethernet is way slow however (about 20%). Something for the network gurus to
think about...