Re: MOL on SMP?

Subject: Re: MOL on SMP?
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 23:06:00 MDT

At 5:15 PM -0400 6/20/00, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
>From the MOL 0Status file:
>
>"MOL currently does not run on SMP kernels"
>
>2.4 is an "SMP kernel." But does this statement mean MOL will not run
>period on 2.4, or will only run if SMP is -not- compiled into 2.4?

2.2 is no less "SMP" than 2.4. In both cases, if you choose to
compile with SMP support enabled, you get a SMP kernel, otherwise you
get a non-SMP kernel.

>And, is this question related or not to any issues of run-time patching
>the kernel? I am looking to the future of using 2.4 on the Linux box that
>also runs MOL (IOW, should I forget 2.4 for the foreseeable future if I
>intend to continue using MOL?).

I'm pretty sure MOL's patching (either runtime or compile-time) does
not support 2.4 yet, so you can't use 2.4 as of right now.

I think Samuel Rydh and others want to get the MOL hooks (or, to put
it another way, an API for virtual machines on PPC) included in the
mainline 2.4 source so you will no longer have to patch anything.

   Tim Seufert