Re: MOL speed - some benchmarks

Subject: Re: MOL speed - some benchmarks
From: Geoff Ghose (geoff@focus.neusc.bcm.tmc.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 13:27:21 MDT

Bill Fink wrote:

> > Geoff Ghose wrote:
> >
> > Interestingly, I tried turning unique_ethernet OFF and mol consistently
> > crashes. Yet older versions of MOL (like 0.9.47) worked without the
> > unique ethernet. So I currently can't test the speed consequences of
> > that option.
>
> Did you try rebooting Linux when changing the unique_mol_ethernet
> parameter? I've noticed that when changing the parameter, the
> Ethernet hardware can get confused, and it might require a reboot
> of Linux to get the Ethernet hardware back into a clean state before
> starting MOL with the new setting.
>
> -Bill

Yes rebooting worked. I can go from unique off to unique on without a reboot, but not
visa-versa.

Anyways, the benchmarking results didn't change with unique_eth off

Write 180 KB/s
Read 929 KB/s

So, independent of unique_eth being on or off and independent of display (VNC or X),
outbound ethernet seems quite slow (about 20% of native Mac OS speed). Any ideas?