Re: Kernel panic with MOL

Subject: Re: Kernel panic with MOL
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (bh40@calva.net)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 06:24:04 MDT

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt <bh40@calva.net> wrote:

>>My kernel panic'ed today with MOL (unable to handle paging request).
>>Didn't manage to catch more details of the error, unfortunately. It
>>happen after switching consoles. My RAM was full but I had plenty of swap
>>available, I'm wondering if there might be a problem when swapping.
>>Kernel is 2.2.16.
>
>I just thought: Could it be a problem when the framebuffer memory image
>gets swapped out ?

Well, I don't have this anymore with my new gmac driver. The old driver
could cause some kernel memory corruption when receiving some specific
kind of broken packets (or because the gmac chip goes mad, which happens
some times), and my problem was probably related to it.

Note that the new driver also supports multicast, thus enabling AppleTalk
in MOL on the new machines. I'll look into adding support for the
alternate MAC address too.

Ben.