MoL on PowerBase with G3 upgrade - interesting tidbits

Subject: MoL on PowerBase with G3 upgrade - interesting tidbits
From: Ed Jaeger (ed.jaeger@bgcorp.com)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 08:43:49 MDT

I finally replaced my trusty but tired 603ev with a PowerLogix G3 card,
which makes MoL actually useful.

I made a 500mb file with dd to use as a boot disk for MoL. However, I
was not able to install from the 8.6 CD inside MoL - I kept getting the
message that the installer could not run on this machine. Has anyone
else had/dealt with this? The installer runs fine if I boot into MacOS,
so it must be some interaction with MoL. To get a bootable disk I
started MoL with the shift key down & finder-copied my working system
folder to the new 500mb pseudo-disk, then changed /etc/molrc to list
that disk first - voila! Then I removed extensions, etc. that don't
work under MoL & I'm set.

What's most interesting is the video support I get under MoL. I just
have the standard built-in video for the PowerBase (an ATI) with four
more SOJ chips put in to raise it to 4mb. Under MacOS the best I can do
on my Apple 20" monitor is 1152x870 @ 75 Hz, 16 bit. Under X in Linux I
can get up to 1280x960 @ 75 Hz, 16 bit. But, under MoL (console mode,
not in X) I can get 1280x1024 @ 70 Hz, 16 bit and 1600x1200, 66 Hz, 8
bit - resolutions I can't get under MacOS native! (They work
beautifully, by the way.) In this case, my capabilities under MoL are
_greater_ than under MacOS native - pretty impressive!

--
Ed Jaeger, CFO, Bohlender Graebener Corporation
ed.jaeger@bgcorp.com

-- Stephen Covey