MOL on 6500

Subject: MOL on 6500
From: Robin Colgrove (robin@louis.bidmc.harvard.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 11:51:28 MDT

Hi

I have linuxppc2000 running on a 6500/250 (higher education model with
built-in ethernet).

This machine still spends most of its time in MacOS, though, and is now
serving as an internet gateway for my home network. I would like to
eventually switch this machine over to linux for better stability but I
will still need MacOS sometimes, so I would really like to get
Mac-on-Linux to work. So far I have been frustrated because I have not
been able to find kernel source that I can patch for MOL and that also
networks on my machine (for some bizarre reason, many kernels send out a
bitswapped MAC address for the ethernet interface to the cable-modem
based DHCP server (MediaOne) which then won't give me a DHCP leased IP
address.

Anyway, if anybody has MOL running well on the 6500, I'd be grateful for
any pointers. Would it be possible to post a pre-compiled/patched kernel
and system.map combo that one could try? (or would this not work? I am
still pretty new to the kernel re-compiling game)

Thanks

Robin Colgrove
Needham, MA