Re: MOL on 6500

Subject: Re: MOL on 6500
From: Stefan Jeglinski (jeglin@4pi.com)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 12:35:45 MDT

>I have linuxppc2000 running on a 6500/250 (higher education model with
>built-in ethernet).
>
>This machine still spends most of its time in MacOS, though, and is now
>serving as an internet gateway for my home network. I would like to
>eventually switch this machine over to linux for better stability but I
>will still need MacOS sometimes, so I would really like to get
>Mac-on-Linux to work. So far I have been frustrated because I have not
>been able to find kernel source that I can patch for MOL and that also
>networks on my machine (for some bizarre reason, many kernels send out a
>bitswapped MAC address for the ethernet interface to the cable-modem
>based DHCP server (MediaOne) which then won't give me a DHCP leased IP
>address.
>
>Anyway, if anybody has MOL running well on the 6500, I'd be grateful for
>any pointers. Would it be possible to post a pre-compiled/patched kernel
>and system.map combo that one could try? (or would this not work? I am
>still pretty new to the kernel re-compiling game)

I have MOL on my 6500 running pretty well, although I don't use the
box as a gateway; however, it is connected via ethernet to a LAN, so
there is half a chance my stuff will work for you. I can supply you
with a kernel/system.map pair for you to try. (6500s are my home
project, so it'll have to wait for later tonight...). I'll contact
you off-list later, or post info back to list tomorrow?

Since you have "built-in ethernet," I assume it's a comm-slot II
card? If so, is it 10 or 10/100?

Stefan Jeglinski