Video acceleration in mol

Subject: Video acceleration in mol
From: Warren Nagourney (warren@dirac.phys.washington.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 09:40:49 MDT

I use mol and find it to be a brilliant program. I have linuxppc 2000
installed on a beige g3/400 with 192 meg or ram and have fairly late linux
components (recent kernel which supports my wheel mouse - including the
wheel - splendidly and XF86-4, which is quite fast with my rage orion
board).

My work needs require several Mac programs which have no decent linux
equivalents (IGOR Pro and Vellum are two examples). My initial approach was
to use linux for the internet activities (which it does so much better than
the MacOS - particularly NS 4.7x which is blindingly fast compared to
anything on the MacOS) and mol for everything else.

Unfortunately, the slow unaccelerated video in MOL makes its use very
unsatisfying for my graphics-oriented programs. I am using it in a 1024x768
subwindow in my 1280x960 screen, but am not in "slow video " mode. I
realize that a little speedup can be obtained by using the full screen. I
was wondering whether anyone knows when acceleration wil be implemented?
Again, I am not faulting MOL, which is a splendid program.

I made a bet with a friend that Linux/MOL with accelerated video would be
out before OSX public beta with a fast "classic" mode. It is beginning to
look like I might lose. Does anyone have any info?

Thanks very much.

Warren Nagourney

Warren Nagourney <warren@dirac.phys.washington.edu> Voice: 206-543-9585
University of Washington 206-543-0143
Physics Dept., Box 351560, Seattle, WA 98195 Fax: 206-685-0635