Re: mol via X remote

Subject: Re: mol via X remote
From: Patrick Berge (pberge@stny.rr.com)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 04:28:01 MST

Claus Atzenbeck wrote:

> Thanks for your mail. I cannot start vnc within MoL vor several
> reasons:
>
> 1. I don't have much RAM on my LinuxPPC box (48 MB), so I would rather
> start MoL without a X server running on this machine. (This saves
> RAM; please correct me if I'm wrong)

Yea you are right... but 48M should be enough to run, X mol and vncserver
(vncserver resource requirement is insignificant compared to X and mol)? I had
32M on my PMac awhile back and it worked... very poorly though. I have upgraded
to 80M and Mol runs great. You should consider more memory if you are serious
about MOL in general.

> 2. I'm not able to log into the LinuxPPC box loclaly in order to start
> MoL. I need to start it via remote login.

So why? or don't you know how to set it up? I can login remotely (telnet) to
my LinuxPPC box and start Linux vncserver then Mol and/or any app?

> 3. The Mac vnc server is not very stable on my Mac. Often it crashes
> or the connection gets lost.

Sorry to hear that .. it is pretty stable for me with MacOS 8.6 . I know there
were serious connection/stability problems
with certain versions of MacOS and VNC. Check the archive link on VNC and
search or just post a question. The VNC Mac guy on the VNC mailing list is very
helpful.

> 4. The speed of the vnc server on my Mac is quite slow compared to the
> speed of the vnc server on LinuxPPC (the same machine)

Yes that is because Apple refuses to release source code to MacOS! If they did
MacOS Server would be so much faster.
Blame Apple not the VNC tool. Sorry I really like Apple hardware I just don't
like the fact their OS is proprietary.

> For this reasons I have tried to start vnc server on my LinuxPPC
> box. It worked well. But I was not able to start MoL. This is what
> happens:
>
> *****
> xvideo: No XVisual Error
> Video module 'xvideo' not installed.
> Video module 'console_video' not installed.
> No video modes at all was found - exiting
> cleaning up...
> Terminating threads...
> DONE
> *****

Sorry ....you need a display... either remote or X?

Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Pat