Re: mol via X remote

Subject: Re: mol via X remote
From: Claus Atzenbeck (claus.atzenbeck@nikocity.de)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 03:45:39 MST

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Patrick Berge wrote:

> VNC does not fix your problem with remote X mol, but it does allow you to
> display mol on almost any machine. It very fast and has none of the
> problems you listed. Run the Mac VNC server from inside mol and then run
> the Linux/Intel VNC viewer to get a window running mol. It works great for

Thanks for your mail. I cannot start vnc within MoL vor several
reasons:

1. I don't have much RAM on my LinuxPPC box (48 MB), so I would rather
   start MoL without a X server running on this machine. (This saves
   RAM; please correct me if I'm wrong)

2. I'm not able to log into the LinuxPPC box loclaly in order to start
   MoL. I need to start it via remote login.

3. The Mac vnc server is not very stable on my Mac. Often it crashes
   or the connection gets lost.

4. The speed of the vnc server on my Mac is quite slow compared to the
   speed of the vnc server on LinuxPPC (the same machine)

For this reasons I have tried to start vnc server on my LinuxPPC
box. It worked well. But I was not able to start MoL. This is what
happens:

*****
xvideo: No XVisual Error
Video module 'xvideo' not installed.
Video module 'console_video' not installed.
No video modes at all was found - exiting
cleaning up...
Terminating threads...
DONE
*****

Any suggenstions?

Best regards,
Claus.

--
Atzenbeck. Data structures & design
http://www.atzenbeck.de

On SECOND thought, maybe I'll heat up some BAKED BEANS and watch REGIS PHILBIN ... It's GREAT to be ALIVE!!