Re: mol via X remote

Subject: Re: mol via X remote
From: Patrick Berge (pberge@stny.rr.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 20:13:16 MST

Claus Atzenbeck wrote:

> I have 3 problems doing this:
>
> 1. Usually remote X applications run quite fast, but only the speed
> of MoL is such slow that I cannot work on it at all. Even the
> cursor does not run in a normal speed. :-(
>
> 2. Also the colors are wrong. Everything is yellow.
> How do I get the right colors?
>
> 3. The keybord is not mapped correctly.
> How do I get the right keyboard.
>
> Please, somebody help me..............

VNC does not fix your problem with remote X mol, but it does allow you to
display mol on almost any machine. It very fast and has none of the
problems you listed. Run the Mac VNC server from inside mol and then run
the Linux/Intel VNC viewer to get a window running mol. It works great for
me. I was never able to get the colors the work with remote X. The nice
thing about this is you don't even need X to run on the client with any OS
that has a VNC Viewer (Winows, Any UNIX with X, Amiga, MacOS, OS/2,
LinuxPPC and many others) See www.uk.research.att.com/vnc. Go to the
contributed section for the huge list of contributed servers/Client. The
designers maintain a few ports Windows (CE), Mac, Linux(Intel) , Alpha
OSF, and Solars ports.

Pat