Re: mol via X remote

Subject: Re: mol via X remote
From: 0verseer (mpwd@w-d.org)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 15:48:59 MST

Claus.Atzenbeck@nikocity.de wrote

> 1. Usually remote X applications run quite fast, but only the speed
> of MoL is such slow that I cannot work on it at all. Even the
> cursor does not run in a normal speed. :-(

What version are you running? First thing to do would probably be
upgrade. You should set up in /etc/molrc X-mouse support, 'cause the mouse
is always slow in native mode in X, even when running natively on the macs
display.

The Mouse section should probably look something like this:

#mouse_device: /dev/usbmouse (note: I am not sure, but you may
be able to set up gdm to take a direct feed from your other linux mouse,
using gdm's character device serving capabilities)
mouse_protocol: console # usb (ps2), adb, console (in
any event this should probably be set to console)
mouse_dpi: 140 # higher == slower mouse (if you
are using an X mouse you might want to make this lower, I'm pretty sure you
won't see any difference in performance)
use_x_cursor: yes # use X cursor as mouse cursor
(this is the most important thing you want to have set)

> 2. Also the colors are wrong. Everything is yellow.
> How do I get the right colors?

Make sure that your resolution in Mac Os is supported by whatever display
device you have on you intel machine. I would try setting the Video
configuration in /etc/molrc to something with lower mhz then it has, and
perhaps it's the lowest resolution of the computer. Then try loading mol
while holding shift. If it works you will probably want to keep
experimenting until you get it to your likeing, then save the setting to
/etc/fb.modes on the linuxmac computer. A few other things you could do
would be to compare the PC's fb.modes (if you have them) to what mol says
are the supported modes when it starts up. As a last resort, you might be
able to try adjusting the gamma at the bottom of mol.

> 3. The keybord is not mapped correctly.
> How do I get the right keyboard.

Figure out your keyboard ID (it's shown at bootup on LinuxPPC, you can
probably find it easy enough on a PC linux computer) and plug it into the
keyboard_id: section neer the bottom of the molrc file. If you are still
having trouble, I believe that there was posted on www.Resexcellence.com a
hack for using a PC keyboard on a Mac, maybe that applies?

Oh, and try turning on backing store too.
Make sure you backup before you do anything!! No matter how bad mol is on
your other computer, you don't want to trash it while trying to improving
it.

MPWD